If you have been residing in the UK for the last month or so, you will know that it has been pretty hot. Even the beagle thinks it is too hot.
So hot, that the chocolate is melting in my cupboards.
It was therefore not much of a surprise that the full packet of dark chocolate digestives my siblings took with them when they went paddle boarding and kayaking along the river melted and all of the biscuits stuck together in one solid lump. This packet has now been sitting on the kitchen table, staring at me for the last few weeks. I thought I might make a cheesecake or Mississippi Mud Pie, but honestly, I didn’t fancy making and eating those much. In this weather, what you need is freezing cold ice cream.
Cookies and cream ice cream!!!
It isn’t Ben and Jerry’s, but it is good, because
a) it is ice cream and it is summer
b) it has chocolate digestives in it which are the best biscuits in the world,
and c) it has cookies in the title.
Really simple, can be replaced with any other biscuit and you don’t need an ice cream maker. I’ve made this twice now (as it is not difficult to melt another packet of chocolate digestives by accident in this heat…), and it is so good, especially with fresh berries.
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
-5 egg yolks -100g granulated sugar -180ml full-fat milk -420ml double cream -1tsp vanilla extract -1 packet of chocolate digestives
- Whisk half of the sugar in with the egg yolks.
- Put the rest of the sugar in a saucepan along with the milk and cream. Bring just to the boil.
- Add to the egg yolk mixture, whisking continuously for a couple of minutes. Add the vanilla extract.
- Bash the chocolate digestives into chunky pieces. Mix in well.
- Pour into an ice cream container and freeze for 12 hours.
- Serve in scoops.