The best banana cake in the world.
Banana sponge with dark chocolate chunks.
This is my second favourite cake of all time.
Chocolate Banana Loaf Cake
(Serves 8, 25x10cm loaf tin)
-300g self-raising flour –150g salted butter –150g granulated sugar – 3 eggs – 4 very old, ripe bananas (50% black, at least) –Splash of milk -200g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Tip the flour into a large bowl and add the butter. Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the sugar followed by the eggs and then the bananas until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour in just enough milk to loosen the whole mixture into a dropping consistency. Stir in the chocolate pieces.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven for about 35-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre leaves clean. Leave it to cool in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely (delicious served slightly warm). Serve in slices and store in an airtight container.